Thursday, August 8, 2013

Restaurant French Toast



 I learned how to make French Toast when I was about nine years old. It's probably one of the first things I learned how to cook on a stove. Even now as adult I still I really enjoy it for breakfast with my kids. Now I can make it a little fancier but not much has changed in how I make it.

Ingredients: 5 slices of bread (sour dough if possible)
5 Eggs
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1 cup powdered sugar or brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1-2 cup syrup
(Serves 2 adults or 1 adult plus 3 children)

Savings: 10-20$





Beat the eggs in a bowl large enough to dip the bread into. Add the cinnamon, salt and nutmeg into the eggs.
I like to use bread that I find in the fridge that is close to getting thrown out. The ends of bread loafs or best of all, the left over hot dog buns because there is always two buns left over. Hot dogs come in a pack of ten, so you would think hot dogs come in packs of ten too, but no! Hot dogs come in a pack of eight! What the frak am I supposed to do with these two hot dog buns?!!!
Give them to the kids as French toast. Heat the skillet to medium high (4-5). Use about one tbsp. per slice of bread in the pan to ensure it doesn't stick and for flavor. Cook on each side for only two minutes.

Garnish the finished toast with your liking of butter and syrup and finally sprinkle powdered sugar on top of the toast to give it that restaurant quality. Also, heat the syrup in the microwave first before pouring it on the toast. I happened to be out of powered sugar because I made Angel butter cream and used it all; I substituted brown sugar instead which turned out good as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment